The Aberteifi Cardigan
The 5m wide Aberteifi Cardigan is a collaborative work of art, a showcase of local talent; created over nine months in 2010 by the people of Cardigan to celebrate 900 years of the town’s heritage.
Here is The Aberteifi Cardigan website. The cardigan was designed and co-ordinated by myself and assisted by the very talented and inspirational Textile artist Susan McComb who taught me as a very young knitter that knitting could be colourful and creative, and it didn't have to be boring.. when we were at school together in Glasgow.
• Around 300 people of all ages and abilites contributed to the cardigan. Some pieces were sent from abroad.
• A relaxed workshop environment created opportunity for young and old to come together and share stories.
• Knitters met weekly or worked at home and handed pieces in at drop off points in town.
• Knitters had complete freedom to create their own patterns and shapes at their own level of ability.
• We listened to talks on the history of the town while we worked.
• Cable stitch was encouraged throughout, inspired by the work of assistant designer Susan McComb ~ the plaited wool reminiscent of the ropes of Cardigan’s shipping heritage.
• It took dedicated stitchers 9 months to knit all the pieces and six weeks to make up the cardigan.